In order to apply for a Nuffield Research Placement you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Your family has a combined household income of below £30,000 a year.
- You are entitled to free schools meals, either now or at any time in the last six years.
- You live, or have lived, in local authority care.
- You will be the first in your immediate family to participate in higher education (not including any older siblings). This means neither of your parents/carers has participated in higher education, either in the UK or another country. If your siblings have attended higher education, but your parents/carers have not, you are still eligible.
You must also:
- Be over 16 years old and in Year 12 (or equivalent).
- Be in full-time, state-funded education in the UK.
- Have at least 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Level 6 or above, including maths, a science subject and English (or another humanities subject).
- Be studying one or more A-level, Scottish Higher (or equivalent) in science, technology, engineering, economics, geography, geology, economics, psychology, computing, statistics or maths.
- Be able to spend four weeks of your summer holiday working on a research project.
If you fulfil these criteria, please see our website to criteria before you apply. Before you apply, we recommend that you speak with a teacher and your parent/guardian to discuss whether you are eligible for the programme and read further information about our application process and eligibility criteria on our .